Thanks for thinking of blue manatee press as the publisher for your book! We can't wait to see it.
But first, please carefully read the following guidelines regarding book proposals.
The children's book industry is continuously evolving, and we are always looking for creative, original ideas for children's books. Below are some general guidelines to consider before sending your proposal, designed to help you and your book be the best you can be.
- Research, research, research! Writing children's books may seem like a piece of cake, but it's a deceptively complex process. Before sending a proposal, spend some time at your local bookstore or library reading books that are similar to yours, whether in format or content. Check out books that have won awards in recent years. Gain a sense of not only what's popular, but what might be missing from the industry that your book could add.
- Familiarize yourself with our books. Browse the "Our Books" section of our website to view existing blue manatee press books. This is a great way to determine whether your proposed book would be a good fit for us (and vice versa).
- Think about the purpose of your book, beyond its entertainment value. Can your proposed picture book be used in a classroom? Does your board book manuscript highlight any developmental milestones or age-appropriate concepts? This kind of information is helpful for us to know.
- Proofread... and then proofread again. Check your manuscript just one more time to make sure it is free of any spelling and grammatical errors.
If you've done all of the above and feel ready to submit a book proposal, you can download our submission guidelines here. Unfortunately we cannot answer questions via phone or email regarding these guidelines, so please complete them to the best of your ability. Whenever possible, we request that your proposal be sent as an email attachment instead of in the body of the email.
We are particularly interested in proposals for books in the following areas:
- Seasonal titles
- Holiday titles
- Titles specific to the Midwest region and/or Cincinnati
Although we make every effort to respond to all submissions, we receive many each day and therefore cannot guarantee a response. If we are interested in your idea, we will follow up with you within two to three months of submission.
If you are an artist who would like to be considered as an illustrator for any of our projects, please send sample art or a link to your portfolio to email@example.com. Click the link below to see open projects for which we are currently seeking artists.